Questions for Discussion about Side Effects of the Disease or of Treatment
1. What are the side effects?
2. Is this a side effect of the disease, or of the treatment?
3. Are the side effects permanent or temporary?
4. Are there ways I can prevent, limit, or cope with the side effects?
5. Are there ways my health care provider can limit, modify, or treat the side effects?
6. Are the side effects likely to produce cosmetic changes (hair loss, scars, teeth discoloration, skin redness, etc.)? Then ask questions #4 and #5.
7. Are the side effects likely to produce life style changes (fatigue, job limitations, depression, eating patterns, isolation to avoid infection, etc.)? Then ask questions #4 and #5.
8. Are these side effects likely to produce a health hazard for my family? Co-workers? Then ask questions #4 and #5.
9. Is there any other treatment just as effective, or almost as effective, which does not have a certain undesirable side effect?
10. If a test is performed, when do I get the results? Who can I call for the results?
Copyright © 1993-2000 Conversations: The International Ovarian Cancer Connection, All Rights Reserved.